The laughter, tears, and anomalies of trying to create a family and a place in this world. There are no guarantees.

The Flatlands


The landscape looks different these days. Long gone are the proud moments of looking out over the hills. I'm talking about my boobs.

After a very brief yet rocky start ('rocky' as in I felt the need to chew on a piece of leather from the pain) to breastfeeding, we managed to get things down and it has been a wonderful experience ever since. From about the time when Eisley was 8 months or so, however, my supply has taken a nosedive. I have chalked it up to the incorporation of more solid foods, and possibly to the twice weekly trips to the gym in an attempt to burn off some extra calories. Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong.

It started with just a nightly bottle of formula, and now has transitioned to 3 total bottles a day to supplement her solids. I am in no way against formula, but because we had such a good thing going for so many months it is hard to come to the realization that we are possibly taking our very last steps on the breastfeeding journey.

And I'm sad about it.
And my boobs look sad too.

I will continue feeding her until it appears that there is nothing left to give (which I suspect might be sooner than I planned on) and then will have to move forward. It definitely won't be easy for me, so when it does happen you might find me drowning my pain in a bottle of wine. Raising my glass with a heartfelt toast to the flatlands.


*Things look a little different around here (not talking boobs). I'm still working out some kinks, so if you decide you want to leave a comment you have to click on the post title to get to the 'post a comment' option.
File Under:

6 comments:

On May 8, 2009 at 1:10 PM , AwkwardMoments said...

OH loving the new layout! Very streamline and peaceful.

I am so very sorry about the flatlining of BFing. Our's happened over night so I didn't have much time to really process it.

Good luck to you

 
On May 8, 2009 at 3:45 PM , Larisa said...

Like the layout. Sorry the breastfeeding is going downhill, and with them the boobs. The boobs are very different after.

You did great for longer than I managed! Joined your gym about 1.5 months ago, btw. Was going regularly until this most recent surgery.

 
On May 8, 2009 at 3:49 PM , Kate said...

That happened to me at 6 months and I was sad, too. It is kind of amazing how quickly everything deflates, huh?

 
On May 11, 2009 at 10:24 PM , Rambling Rachel said...

Big high five for breastfeeding!

I saw your post about cloth diapering on Fertilized's blog. I hated Proraps! Thirsties and bummis work way better. Just thought I'd give you my unrequested 2 cents.

 
On May 15, 2009 at 4:22 PM , lltanderson said...

i am really liking your new blog look!

i am sorry about the downward trend in breastfeeding. i can only imagine how difficult that is. just keep reminding yourself how much wonderful stuff you've given eisley over these last 9 months...and what a good start that's given her.

i can't believe she's NINE months! that's just crazy talk! these small people grow entirely too quickly, don't they?

 
On May 15, 2009 at 4:24 PM , lltanderson said...

oh, and ps, due to hormonal craziness and medical insanity, i've never really breastfed anyone. i was able to pump for 6 weeks with my ODD and was able to get my newbie to latch on maybe 15 times in his first week...this constitutes a microsecond of breastfeeding, yes? well, guess what? the boobies are still SOOOOO different than they were pre-kid. you wanna see something sad...imagine a deflated pair of double As. it's wrong...just so wrong!