The laughter, tears, and anomalies of trying to create a family and a place in this world. There are no guarantees.

Piece of Cake

I went to get my hair cut today and try to make my outside look better than my inside is feeling at the moment. While basking in my pampering event, I nonchalantly thumbed through a magazine. I came across an article about mothers who set their children up on dates and how it successfully led to marriage. Seems fairly harmless, right? As I read the 3 or 4 different profiles, the pregnancy and baby stories started rolling in:

Susie and Johnny met in April and then married the following July. They make a gazillion dollars in their highly successful careers and lead perfect lives. Johnny's mother came to their house one day with a pair of baby booties meant for a girl. Susie and Johnny were perplexed with why his mother had brought over the shoes, and were astounded to find out only two days later that they were pregnant.

And on, and on, and on...

Can't a girl catch a break? I felt so lucky when I scanned the salon upon my arrival to see that there weren't any pregnant women in sight. Just when I feel safe for a moment in my non-reproductive environment, there goes another 'baby bomb'. Kind of like a slap in the face.

The reminders of my situation are constant and annoying. Everyone else is getting pregnant like it is a piece of cake. Where is my cake?
File Under:

0 comments: