The laughter, tears, and anomalies of trying to create a family and a place in this world. There are no guarantees.

Something My Mother Taught Me

With the announcement of yet another friend's pregnancy via email I find myself caught between a rock and a very hard place.

What am I to do with this information? Do I pretend that I never got the message? Acknowledge the message the next time I see the friend?? Or do I do what my mother has always taught me to do - send a return congratulatory message like any other who holds Emily Post on high. What would Emily Post do (WWEPD)???

In an attempt to keep my good manners on the forefront, I sent a return message expressing how excited I am for the friend and how "I can't wait to hear all the updates". Am I f-ing crazy? What is wrong with me? That type of response is indicative of a fertility challenged girl with a death wish. Geeezzz.

Well, I guess my mother has taught me well. I will always send congratulations to others and try to get all thank you notes out within a month of the occasion for which they are due. Always so dependable except when it comes to the whole 'baby thing'.
File Under:

3 comments:

On March 5, 2007 at 7:35 PM , Lindsey said...

I love your response in the reply email. Something I might have done, too. This is a great blog! I hope it will be your outlet and something to depend on during your journey. I'll be following along and cheering you on. Onward and upward we go!

 
On March 6, 2007 at 10:34 AM , Larisa said...

I think you did what you "have" to do. I think there are times to protect yourself, but I also think if we don't congratulate - then what sort of friends are we in the end? If (when?) this all works out, I don't want to regret not participating at some level in my friends' joy. Good luck to you.

 
On March 6, 2007 at 4:34 PM , sharah said...

I was just chatting with another friend today lamenting the fact that there isn't an IF etiquette book. I'm in a very, very similar situation -- my SIL announced Sunday night that she's 8 1/2 weeks pg. I'll just say that you've handled the situation much more gracefully than I have been able to.