Because we are biding time right now, what better way to do it than by working on the house?!? We decided to spend our three day weekend digging up parts of our yard and putting down new grass. On top of that, we have potted some new plants and cut some tree limbs (which resulted in a giant brush pile in the backyard). Despite the destructive sound of it all, things are really starting to shape up.
Yesterday when we were working in the yard, my husband was wearing his typical yard work uniform which consists of shorts, t-shirt, and some old gray boots. When he was tromping through our muddy yard in those boots, I had to stop and just watch him for a moment. The significance of the boots is that they once belonged to my grandfather (now deceased) and my husband took them and uses them when he is really digging in to do some serious work around the house. I paused for a moment and thought about how this simple pair of shoes represent generations in my life. Once belonging to the hardworking older man that was my grandfather, those shoes now belong to my hardworking husband
Naturally, the short pause yesterday caused me to reflect on my intense desire to continue the generation line in my own life. I would love to be out in our yard with a little one, trying to explain the story behind 'daddy's boots'. And we wait...for that opportunity and for so many others.
2 comments:
I think of so many situations that I can't wait to share with my little one. I hope you get to tell those stories very soon. :)
Matthew M. F. Miller says
Every time I realize I've done something my parents do, it makes me sad that I have no one to pass that along to yet.