The laughter, tears, and anomalies of trying to create a family and a place in this world. There are no guarantees.

Putting It Into Perspective

The last couple of days haven't been as hard as I had expected them to be. Yesterday my nephew had on a very cute 'I'm going to be a big brother' shirt. How can you not smile at that? I know that my mom withheld her true excitement out of consideration of me. I feel bad that I am being a 'debbie downer' in regards to the situation, but I am so thankful that my family is being so kind to me and to our situation.

What I have realized (after finding out last night that another friend is pregnant) is that life happens. It is happening to me and it is happening to others, just in different ways right now. Of course, I will continue to be envious of those whose lives are traveling down the path of motherhood but hopefully they are just paving the way for me when it is my turn.

I have to realize that I should be thankful of the fact that I still have my mother when others do not. She gave me life and has allowed me to do so many things. I should be thankful that my sister is such a good mother to my nephew, who fills my heart with love and joy every day. There are so many who are walking the walk right now and showing me what it is all about. I suppose that while I am currently not a mother to my own children, I can learn from all the wonderful mothers around me.

Motherhood is something I am striving for and I fully intend to get there, but in the meantime a thank you is due to all of the mothers that are providing lessons to be learned.

So thank you...thank you to the veteran mothers, thank you to the rookie mothers, and thank you to the mothers to be. You all inspire me and help me to understand what value lies behind the word 'mother'. Happy Mother's Day to all of you.
File Under:

1 comments:

On May 13, 2007 at 9:52 PM , Kate said...

I'm really glad you are doing better and I like what you wrote. It really rang true for me! :)