The laughter, tears, and anomalies of trying to create a family and a place in this world. There are no guarantees.

6.6


No! That isn't the number of babies we saw today silly! That is 6 weeks 6 days pregnant to be exact. We went to the doctor this morning for our first ever pregnancy ultrasound. I had been feeling a little queasy already this morning, and then the added excitement and fear of the ultrasound was just about enough to make me pass out.

So a few minutes later the doc came in, and in went the magical wand. She looked quickly at my ovaries to make sure they were 'quiet' and then she centered in on the uterus. There inside my previously unoccupied ute was 1 little yolk sac, with 1 little fetal pole, and 1 little teeny tiny heart just beating away. And then, the noise. The beating heart of our little one filled the room with sound. I audibly gasped at the noise and I looked at Nicholas. We couldn't believe it. This is just way too good to be true. But we have proof now and we should believe.


Our little one is measuring at 6 weeks 5 days so there is about a 24 hour difference in measurement. The heart rate was 128 bpm, which the doctor reassured me was in the expected range. And then, that was it. We asked all the questions we needed to ask, and were told to go ahead and schedule with an OB. I will still be monitored for a few weeks with blood work to get me off of my meds and then maybe we can try to move forward.


Before leaving the office, my doctor said that she wanted me to live 'normally'. I didn't pause for even a second before letting her know that I had forgotten how to live a normal life. It is going to take a lot to get back to normal status and the whole thing scares me. For now, I think I have convinced myself to be happy for a moment and not to stress too much. I just need to work through this bundle of emotions and then maybe normal won't look so weird.
File Under:

19 comments:

On December 7, 2007 at 7:03 PM , Meg said...

What a strong little singleton you saw this morning.....huge congrats to you!!!

 
On December 7, 2007 at 8:20 PM , AwkwardMoments said...

Excellent Excellent Excellent! I have been blog stalkin gall day waiting for this fantastic news!

 
On December 7, 2007 at 8:28 PM , Lindsey said...

Congrats, Courtney! I have been thinking of you all day and waiting to read your post. I am so glad you had such great numbers. The heartbeat is great for gestational age! I hope you find a way to live as normally as possibly, but I know firsthand how difficult that is. I hope the next 8 months are happy, healthy and smooth. So thrilled for you!

 
On December 7, 2007 at 9:12 PM , M said...

Absolutely gorgeous....isn't it the best feeling to see that little flicker and hear the beating heart. I am thrilled for you.

 
On December 8, 2007 at 8:42 AM , lub said...

OMG how exciting! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
On December 8, 2007 at 12:35 PM , nickoletta100 said...

That is fantastic!!! Seeing and hearing the hb is just soooooo amazing!!!

 
On December 8, 2007 at 3:14 PM , JJ said...

Very thankful for your wonderful news--congrats again, Courtney!

 
On December 8, 2007 at 6:23 PM , Mommy Someday said...

Wonderful news!!! Congratulations!!

 
On December 8, 2007 at 9:03 PM , Natalie said...

Woohoo, yay for you. Big big congrats after all this:-)

 
On December 8, 2007 at 9:32 PM , lltanderson said...

congrats on your beautiful ultrasound and on getting to hear your baby's heart beat for the first time!

 
On December 9, 2007 at 9:31 PM , Chastity said...

It's amazing how early it all starts! I can't wait to follow along w/ your pregnancy journey!

 
On December 9, 2007 at 9:34 PM , Kate said...

That is so wonderful! I am soooooo happy!!!!!

 
On December 10, 2007 at 5:14 PM , Anonymous said...

Yay yay yay!! Glad to hear your little one is looking so good! And congrats on being an aunt again - Finley is a cuuuute name. Prayers for both your sister and niece!

 
On December 10, 2007 at 9:18 PM , Cibele said...

That is so awesome.. it brought back memories of the day I heart my baby for the first time... Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so happy for you

 
On December 11, 2007 at 9:40 AM , Courtney said...

That little heartbeat is beating for you Miss Mommy-to-be! Congrats!!

 
On December 11, 2007 at 5:37 PM , Amanda said...

Yay!!! Congrats!!!

 
On December 13, 2007 at 10:03 AM , Anonymous said...

Happy, Happy birthday!

 
On December 13, 2007 at 10:47 AM , Lollipop Goldstein said...

Congratulations on the excellent u/s and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

 
On December 13, 2007 at 11:45 AM , Searching said...

PREGNANCY u/s- how exciting! Happy birthday!!