The laughter, tears, and anomalies of trying to create a family and a place in this world. There are no guarantees.

8.0


**Thank you to everyone for their birthday wishes, it truly brightened my day! Turning 30 can really be hard work on the mind.**

Today I am 8 weeks pregnant and while I feel we have come so far, there still is so far to go. On Thursday, my husband and I did not go out to eat after all because I had had some spotting during the day that lasted for a bit, and that was the second time in a week it had happened. I had the hardest time trying not to feel paralyzed by it all, but visual proof of potential problems is just scary. Nicholas was wonderful as usual and made it so easy for me. He canceled our reservations for dinner and instead ordered us a pizza, made a fire, and then we just spent the night in together. I had already made a doctor's appointment for an u/s on Friday because I had been so bothered by the day's events.

Yesterday I ran to my doctor's appointment, but not before telling my boss about my pregnancy. I felt I couldn't just run off without letting him know what was going on because that has happened quite a bit lately. He was elated to hear that things had worked (he has been super supportive about everything). I got to the doctor's appointment and tried to just breathe very deeply while waiting for her to come in to see me. We went through a few quick questions, "spotting and cramping, but never at the same time", and then she started the u/s. Baby is still there and measuring 8 weeks 1 day, which is a couple of days ahead. Again, reassurances were made that the size was just fine. Then - that glorious heartbeat again. This time 170 bpm. It was all there, all working, and all fine. No explanation for the spotting, I guess just nature's way of a reality check. We will get a chance to check in on things again Tuesday when we have our first OB appointment, and it can't get here soon enough!

So now we are 8 weeks and I can breathe a little easier, and things aren't looking as gray as they were on my birthday. This little one was all I could think about on a day when I guess I would normally be self indulgent. Maybe a little bit of a mother in me coming out???

In reflection, I would have to say that the best part of the week besides seeing our little jelly bean is the gift that my husband gave me for my birthday. He went out on his own and went shopping (something he really does not like to do) and bought me a few different items of maternity clothing. This means so much to me because I know he feels confident that this will be a take home baby, and he is fueling my own confidence in that same fact.
File Under:

12 comments:

On December 15, 2007 at 10:00 AM , AwkwardMoments said...

YAH YAH YAH YHA YAH!! I am so very glad that you and baby had a nice birthday. Grats to hte hubster for pulling through with a great gift to warm your heart! Can't wait to hear how your OB appointment goes.

 
On December 15, 2007 at 10:20 AM , lub said...

So glad the little jelly belly is hanging in there! I am also happy that you have a FANTASTIC husband who knows just how to take care of you in all the right ways. This will be a great year!

 
On December 15, 2007 at 10:51 AM , Anonymous said...

Awww! I'm so glad you got a peace-of-mind u/s yesterday. Glad to hear things are still going well.

Can't wait to see your "substitute" tree! :)

 
On December 15, 2007 at 10:51 PM , lltanderson said...

i have been falling behind! happy belated birthday, you young'un, you!

congrats on a great sono! i'm sorry you had to experience any spotting; i know that's scary.

 
On December 16, 2007 at 9:58 AM , Natalie said...

Wow, your husband's awesome. That's a perfect gift:-)

And yay of course on 8 weeks and a good heartbeat and all being swell.

 
On December 16, 2007 at 2:00 PM , nickoletta100 said...

YAY! What a great appt, I am so glad you got to see your little one and I hope the spotting stops completely.

 
On December 16, 2007 at 11:48 PM , babymajic said...

Congrats on your BFP!!! I am a little late but I have been out of blogland since the beginning of Nov when I got my BFN! I just went and updated my blog with my negative outcome. It is great to come back on and see so many BFP's it brings me much hope and joy!!

 
On December 17, 2007 at 8:42 AM , JJ said...

Happy belated!! The big 3-0! What a great way to celebrate to have a little one growing and thriving! Hope you had a wonderful celebration!

 
On December 17, 2007 at 9:15 AM , Kate said...

So, so, so glad to hear that everything is still ok! I hope the rest of the first trimester goes by quickly. Take it easy over the holidays and put your feet up - you deserve it! :)

 
On December 18, 2007 at 8:11 AM , Wordgirl said...

I'll be thinking of you Courtney during this holiday season...may it be filled with joy and peace of mind...

Pam

 
On December 18, 2007 at 9:20 AM , Laura said...

8 weeks! Yay! I am so glad that the ultrasound was able to ease your worry. And what a wonderful husband!

Happy belated birthday! I turned 30this year too. :)

 
On December 18, 2007 at 3:03 PM , Courtney said...

8 weeks and rockin!!! So happy for you :)