The laughter, tears, and anomalies of trying to create a family and a place in this world. There are no guarantees.

13.5 Catching Up


Today I am 13.5 weeks along in this pregnancy. Never in my wildest dreams (and let me tell you, they have been crazy) did I ever imagine being here. It all still feels so surreal to me, but with each passing day and my slowly burgeoning belly, I am settling in to the idea that we might be bringing a baby home in July. I'm not quite there yet, but hopefully I can fully bask in this glow very, very soon. So what has been happening? Here is a quick rundown:


1.11: We opted to do the NT scan and from the ultrasound alone, things looked good. The NT measurement is 1.1 and we were reassured that this is within the normal range. I also did the lab work and am waiting for that to come back with our ratios for other chromosomal disorders. We got to see the little one (picture above) and there was some jumping action which was really exciting. I think this was the first ultrasound that I not only had tears in my eyes, but on my cheeks as well.

1.15: We also had our 2nd OB appointment last week and got to hear the baby on the doppler. Our little jelly bean's heart rate was measuring beautifully (between 150-160) and that was so comforting to hear. We scheduled our next appointment with ultrasound for February 12th. The doctor thinks that we might be able to find out the sex at that appointment....WOW. Could this really be happening?

1.19: My brother in law came into town and brought his girlfriend who is from Uruguay to meet the family. She does not speak English, so it was definitely an interesting experience, but she seems very kind and fond of my brother in law so that makes me quite happy. To celebrate their arrival and to warm his new home, my father in law had a party. He included our pregnancy as one of the reasons to celebrate on the evite, so the entire evening was filled with congratulations and talk of pregnancy and babies. I have to say it was strange but I just tried to go with it all and pretend that this has been the most normal conception and pregnancy situation that ever existed. Hard work, but I managed. And...my sister in law rubbed my little belly. Another strange experience but she is really so excited about having a niece or nephew. Hopefully in the near future I will quit siphoning others' happiness and excitement about this baby and be able to create my own.

1.24: So that brings us to today. I sit here typing in my first pair of maternity jeans and are they ever comfortable! I am amazed at what all has occurred since my last post, and eternally grateful for each opportunity. I can't wait for the chance to see the baby again in 20 days, and I hope things continue on as they have thus far.

*If you have a moment and a positive thought or prayer to spare, please send it towards my friend who had her beautiful baby girl on 1.15 (Emory Morning). The baby had a lung collapse and some breathing issues early on, but seems to be gaining strength each and every day. Thank you.

File Under:

12 comments:

On January 24, 2008 at 11:17 AM , M said...

What a great update...I am so glad things are progressing smoothly for you.

You will slowly grasp the happiness with ever passing milestone...trust me. :D

 
On January 24, 2008 at 2:22 PM , AwkwardMoments said...

YAH Courtney! Goodness 13.5 weeks how fantastic! Welcome to the second trimester (depends on who you ask)

There is happiness to gain every week - i promise , it does come (and go) but I do hope you get to enjoy it.

saying prayers, goog thoughts for your friends baby (beautiful name)

 
On January 24, 2008 at 4:35 PM , Kate said...

It's so good to hear from you and I'm so glad that everything is going well. :) What a great picture! Second trimester already - I am so happy for you!

 
On January 24, 2008 at 10:08 PM , The Gath Family said...

Yay, another post! I can't wait for you to get to see the little one at your next appointment again, and also to possibly find out if I'm going to have a niece or nephew. We love that little jelly bean already :)

Love you!

 
On January 25, 2008 at 1:03 PM , Chastity said...

Yay, this was all great news!

I also had a tough time coming to terms that I was actually pregnant and that I could actually talk about being pregnant! It is very hard when no one knows how the baby was conceived. You just have to smile and act as if it was all as normal as ever.

 
On January 25, 2008 at 2:59 PM , Tara said...

This is great news. I've been thinking about how cute you looked in your pj's the last time I saw you. I can't wait to see another ultrasound picture. Hope to see you soon. Hannah said hello.

 
On January 25, 2008 at 10:35 PM , lltanderson said...

what a great post! it's so good to hear about all that's going on with you!

 
On January 26, 2008 at 12:16 PM , Natalie said...

I'm glad to hear things are moving along nicely - maternity pants!!!

 
On January 28, 2008 at 1:53 PM , Laura said...

Great to hear from you! I am so glad to hear that everything is progressing so well. And how wonderful to be wearing your first maternity clothes! :)

 
On January 30, 2008 at 7:52 AM , Cibele said...

I am so so happy to see that everything is progressing well and you are on your second trimester already. I loved the baby picuture, he/she is so cute!

I hope that your friend's baby is doing better

 
On January 30, 2008 at 6:20 PM , mattandpj said...

i am so glad i checked out your blog tonight. what an amazing post. i love the picture! you are so sweet to mention us. we feel the thoughts and prayers. thank you. i am still praying for you and all the wonderful happiness to come. i can't wait to help throw the baby shower!
love you...

 
On February 7, 2008 at 6:27 PM , Natalie said...

I tagged you my friend - now you have work to do!