The laughter, tears, and anomalies of trying to create a family and a place in this world. There are no guarantees.

16.3 Breathing and Finding Our Way


Where to start? I have hidden again, worrying away the moments until my next doctor's appointment. Well finally that appointment arrived today, complete with a lengthy ultrasound. I have to admit that I didn't care so much for the sono tech that we had today as she seemed to zip over some things fairly quickly. Nonetheless, she was the skilled person that allowed us to see our baby.

Things are looking good with the baby measuring at 16 weeks 3 days (right on target) and the heart rate came in at 146. The little one seemed to move around a lot more than in previous ultrasounds, but one thing is for sure - it did not want us to clearly see whether we are having a he or a she. Those thighs were firmly locked together and that didn't change much over the course of the 17 glorious minutes in which we could view our jelly bean. Exhaling.

I have another appointment scheduled for 3/13 and we will have another ultrasound because they could not get a good enough look at all of the heart chambers today (we are on the early side of an anatomical scan). Now if I can only make it until then. Quick inhale and holding.

A couple of weeks ago I got the results back from our first trimester scan:

Downs Syndrome - 1 in 4,000 something
Trisomy 18 - 1 in 10,000 something
(I do have the exact numbers written down)
Exhaling deeply...

This past weekend my husband and I ran some errands and while picking up yet another milkshake to feed my face, a woman at the restaurant where we stopped asked me if I was expecting. Sharp inhale. Could it possibly be? Could a stranger see what is happening and is that proof that things are happening and this baby is okay???

So we continue to move along in this journey of uncertainty. Breathing carefully, cautiously. Hopeful that we are not led astray and we reach a positive outcome in all of this. Really, there is only one outcome that is acceptable - holding our healthy little girl in our arms in just a few short months.

Oh, did I say girl? That is actually what it looks like we are having although they did not want to make any definitive statements today due to the stubborn nature of our little one. We should know for sure at our next appointment.

**I owe Chicklet a post on what makes me freakish and I will get on that very soon (it's so hard to narrow it down).
File Under:

13 comments:

On February 13, 2008 at 8:53 AM , Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! I love her little foot. :) Hopefully she'll be a little less shy the next u/s and let you confirm it's a girl. I'm so very excited for you!!

 
On February 13, 2008 at 9:07 AM , Chastity said...

Things sound great! I am so happy for you!! I can't wait to hear for sure if it's a girl...I just love little girls, but little boy would be fun too.

 
On February 13, 2008 at 9:21 AM , M said...

Sounds like your appointment went great. Good thing February is a short month...makes 1 month from today get here sooner. ;)

Thanks for the update.

 
On February 13, 2008 at 11:26 AM , AwkwardMoments said...

glad you are breathing and finding your way through all of this. Congrats on pictures and getting a scan! Thinking good things for you

 
On February 13, 2008 at 12:15 PM , nickoletta100 said...

Congrats on the possibility of a girl!!! Glad all you tests are coming out well. I hope you can relax soon and start enjoying this!

 
On February 13, 2008 at 12:20 PM , JJ said...

What a CUTE ultrasound picture! Glad things are going well=)

 
On February 13, 2008 at 12:42 PM , Kate said...

I am so glad to hear that everything is going well. I'm thinking of you!

 
On February 14, 2008 at 3:33 PM , Natalie said...

Glad to hear all is well, and take your time with the post. I don't really care about tagging except it's fun eventually to see weird things about each other.

 
On February 14, 2008 at 8:23 PM , lltanderson said...

what an awesome update! YAY!

i swear we are living in parallel universes separated by a couple years. we, too, got pg on our FET after having a chemical pg on our first IVF. we, too, had a little girl who flipped and flopped and wouldn't show her parts. we, too, had a little girl that needed more than one anatomy scan b/c she wouldn't hold still long enough to see all the chambers of her heart.

i'm so very excited from you and thrilled to hear how you're doing! i hope the worry abates and that you can exhale more often, but i totally understand why you feel that way.

hang in there!

 
On February 16, 2008 at 6:00 PM , Courtney said...

so happy for you Courtney! Enjoy this-you are PREGGO!!!

 
On February 21, 2008 at 10:46 AM , Wordgirl said...

I can understand hiding away -- take care of yourself...and your little one.

I can't wait to hear the news when jellybean actually decides to stop being so shy with the ultrasounds!

Pam

 
On February 27, 2008 at 5:42 PM , lub said...

So glad things are going well. Breathe- just breathe. Glad to know you get to see your jelly bean again very soon! :)

 
On February 28, 2008 at 9:16 AM , Anonymous said...

Just thinking of you and hoping things are going well. Hopefully you're getting some rest, you must be exhausted! :)