The laughter, tears, and anomalies of trying to create a family and a place in this world. There are no guarantees.

22.6 Her


Back with just a short post and some updates. We were able to find out about 2 weeks ago at our last appointment that we are undoubtedly having a girl. This was almost an expected outcome due to our previous month's ultrasound, but we were thrilled nonetheless to find out the gender of our jelly bean. So now that she is a she, we have been referring to her by name. I can't decide if I will post her name or not before her arrival, but most likely I will cave.

Our girl is kicking around daily and her daddy was able to feel her wonderful movements for the first time last week. I've been lucky enough to have felt her for awhile now, but his face lit up with joy when he could actually partake in some of the same delight. Who knew that such aggressive little motions could bring such broad smiles, and make us so head over heels in love with this little girl?

I ordered some bedding about a week ago, and it arrived yesterday. My mother in law will be taking the guest bed home with her this weekend, and my mother is taking the dresser. Now all we need is some furniture, some paint, and maybe a few more hangers than the 10 we bought last weekend (she is already acquiring herself a little wardrobe in the closet). Hopefully with some effort and a lot of love, we can fully prepare a proper nest for this little one.

Letting myself indulge in all of the above mentioned tasks has been wonderful, but has not left me without angst or anxiety. I am still so frightful of romancing the idea that we might bring a baby home, out of fear that it will bite me squarely in the ass. Trying to be a 'normal' pregnant woman is not totally beyond my grasp, but some days it feels like it is miles away. Holding on to each precious moment with this child within and keeping my guard up just enough to not get sideswiped is so difficult. But, I will carry on because of her.
File Under:

14 comments:

On March 28, 2008 at 6:19 PM , nickoletta100 said...

Congrats on finding out she is a SHE!! YAY!!! Good luck looking for furniture and everything, have fun with it!

 
On March 28, 2008 at 8:00 PM , JJ said...

Hey there baby girl! She's already a cutie=)

 
On March 28, 2008 at 8:01 PM , Wordgirl said...

Oh!

She.

Her.


I am so happy for you -- and I imagine all of these feelings are normal -- one doesn't leave all those feeling from the IF world behind, unfortunately...but I hope you're given moments free from it -- to embrace and release worry....and leave this all behind -- as much as we love you.

Pam

 
On March 28, 2008 at 8:48 PM , AwkwardMoments said...

hey there Baby girl! Courtney she is beautiful - congrats

 
On March 30, 2008 at 10:06 AM , Lindsey said...

Yay! Another girl!

 
On March 30, 2008 at 11:22 AM , Natalie said...

I'm obviously not where you are, but I think if it ever happens, I'll be exactly where you are - trying to enjoy the time but also being cautious cuz of the whole 'who freakin knows' thing. I think infertility changes that ability to be a normal/naive preggo, it can't not.

 
On March 30, 2008 at 8:30 PM , Courtney said...

A little girl-how wonderful!! And yes you must cave and tell us the name :)
Allow yourself this time to indulge-you deserve it!

 
On March 30, 2008 at 10:15 PM , Meg said...

Oh good. I was jonesing for an update. A she!!! How wonderful. I totally get trying to be a 'normal' pregnant woman. You have remained so aware and in tune with cherishing the moment in the pregnancy. I am really happy you have had a few indulgences.

 
On March 31, 2008 at 10:50 AM , Kristen said...

Congratulations on your baby girl! I totally understand your feelings of possibly being "jinxed". It is very hard for me to take the next steps in preparing for parenthood because I feel like I'm going to curse everything. I have my good days and bad days, and I almost feel bipolar.

I am so happy to hear that all is going well with you and your daughter. I can't wait to read more about her :)

 
On April 1, 2008 at 2:23 PM , Laura said...

Congratulations! I am glad you were able to find out for sure that she is a she. :)

 
On April 1, 2008 at 3:15 PM , Larisa said...

So happy for you! A little girl...it's so nice to know, to refer to HER, to SHE. Love it.

 
On April 1, 2008 at 3:49 PM , lltanderson said...

YAY! congratulations! girls rule!

 
On April 1, 2008 at 4:55 PM , Kate said...

Congrats on your little girl! I am always thinking of you and sending prayers your way for a wonderful pregnancy!

 
On April 2, 2008 at 6:51 PM , lub said...

Great news! I think I am having a girl too (although we aren't finding out) and look forward to splurging and shopping for "her"! Go ahead and get that paint, furniture, etc and make that baby's room- its for real and you need to celebrate that!!!